STEM AcademyIn June 2011, the Colleges of Science and Education were awarded a Math, Science, and Technology Teacher Preparation Academy (MSTTPA) grant from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). This grant provides funding support for a STEM Teacher Preparation Academy focused on increasing the quantity and quality of mathematics and science teachers certified at the middle school and secondary levels by implementing a high quality, rigorous curriculum that uses cutting-edge technology, focuses on STEM content, and creates a community where in-service and pre-service teachers work in unison to grow academically and professionally. The TAMU STEM Academy will serve 50 TAMU pre-service teachers and each participant will receive the following:
- $4000 scholarship.
- Invaluable field experience with an experienced, Bryan ISD mentor teacher.
- Opportunity to work with middle and high school students in an outreach program.
- Training on how to use Apple's iPad to increase student understanding and achievement.
- Training on how to use interactive whiteboards to increase student understanding and achievenemnt.
- Training on how to use Camtasia to make custom movies for students and parents.
- Training on how teachers can use Microsoft Office programs to enhance their teaching.
- Tips and suggestions on how to best manage the STEM classroom.
- Training on effective questioning techniques for the STEM classroom.